Record number: CHEGM: 1999 6 63
Object name: inscribed tombstone
Description: Two fragments of the upper part of a rectangular monumental tomb with little fluted pilasters at the four corners. At the top of the die are two sockets, the left one triangular, the right square. The top of the right stone is flat, either for carrying a capping-stone, or because it has been cut down in re-use. On either side from the pilaster-captials of simplified composite type hangs a ribboned swag decorated with a central four-petalled flower.
Place found: North Wall (West), Chester
Date: 1883; 1891
Dimensions: height 24 inches; width 28 inches; depth 22 inches
Inscription: D M / M APRONIO / M F FABIA / ECIO / TO / S
D(is) M(anibus) M(arco) Apronio M(arci) f(ilio) Fabia (tribu) [...]ecio [Bery]to [...]s [...
To the departed spirits, to Marcus Apronius, son of Marcus, of the Fabian voting-tribe...from Berytus...