Religious dedication

Record number: CHEGM: 1999 6 6

Object name: religious dedication

Description: Left-hand portion of an altar, of white sandstone, with right side missing. On the left side, flanked by pilasters on the angles, is a goose; on the back, a wreath.

Period: Roman

Place found: Chester

Date: 1884

Material: stone

Dimensions: height 44 inches; width 18 inches; depth 10 inches

Inscription: IO / OPT / MAX / V
Io[vi] Opt[imo] Max[imo] v...
To Jupiter, Best and Greatest, ...
Latin


  • Grosvenor Museum logo
  • Chester West and Chester logo
  • Weaver Hall logo

Cheshire West and Chester Council 2013